Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Happy 4th of July!

This is my attempt at English calligraphy. Or, I guess I should say, American calligraphy. Sorry the picture is kind of blurry - my camera is not amazing.



This is a piece of the Declaration of Independence, written on this day 236 years ago. I have always been a fan of the writing style of the document - in fact, I copied some elements of it for the writing that I use on a daily basis. for instance, the way the "s" stops at the end of the word instead of continuing on, as most letters do. I adopted that. In the above picture, you can see that the word "powers" ends this way.

It was also impressive to see how readable it is to this day. Most of the grammar is the same as it is today, and the spellings are mostly the same.

I was going to write, "I was in awe to write the same words that Thomas Jefferson wrote," but I realized that I wasn't sure if Thomas Jefferson was the one who actually took up the pen and wrote the copy of the Declaration that we know today. I did a little researching and discovered that it was actually a gentleman by the name of Timothy Matlack. He penned quite a few documents, including the commission of George Washington to the post of Commander-in-Chief.

The caption under his signature says "American Scribe". Me too, Tim. Me too.

No comments:

Post a Comment